Saturday, September 20, 2008

RNC 2008: Say Hello To BI-PARTISAN JOHNNY NORTHSIDE!!!!

Photo By John Hoff

The issues in my neighborhood transcend party lines...

...and, for the most part, make political parties irrelevant. My good buddy HACC Chair Peter Teachout is a Republican, but says he'd probably be a Democrat if it weren't for a few key issues. HACC Housing Director Jeff Skrenes is a Democrat, but he sure reminds me of the Green Party members I know.

I'm a member of the Green Party, but I've also been a Libertarian and I often lean that way. I admire John McCain as a warrior. There, I said it. It won't keep tear gas from being launched at me while I'm armed with nothing but cameras.

What does any of this matter? The politics in my neighborhood is like the politics of people on a lifeboat: what matters is safety and survival, not ethereal abstract questions of political philosophy. Whether you think crack heads should get expensive treatment or harsher punishment doesn't really make much difference when they're ruining your block, and you're calling 911.

Yes, I put a lot of energy into blogging about RNC 2008. A political convention like this is a once-in-a-lifetime event, and it is a TWIN CITIES event. And I may still end up blogging a bit about it, as things come up, especially the disturbing story behind "Devil Man."

But this blog was built on writing about North Minneapolis, and that's where it's returning. Thank you for your continued interest and feedback, and a special thanks to the Minneapolis Police Department. I'm very glad most of my criticisms can be directed at St. Paul, though I hope it hasn't escaped anyone's notice that the protests themselves have been the subject of my critiques, as well. I call 'em as I see 'em.

This image of a poster from the Bedlam Theater on the West Bank represents my new spirit of cooperative "reaching across the aisles."

Yes, just call me BIPARTISAN JOHNNY NORTHSIDE.

No comments: