Friday, September 5, 2008

RNC 2008 Coverage: Waiting For A Jailed Comrade With A Plate Of Food


I keep running into "Marshall Jim," and he keeps ending up at the jail. The night of Wednesday, September 3 (RNC 3) while I visited "Camp Solidarity" outside the detention facility, who should be there but...

..."Marshall Jim," who now told me it would be all right to call him "Duncan." I doubt if THAT was he real name, either, though.

"Don't tell me you've been waiting here this whole time!" I said.

"Well," he laughed. "Sort of."

Marshall had been arrested during the Monday street protests, then released, and now sat outside the jail waiting for a female comrade. He held a plate of food in his hand, determined that when his friend was released he would be standing there to greet her with a plate of food.

As Marshall told this story, somebody said, "Awwww. You meet the best people at protests. That's how (????) met his partner, at a protest."

(The food was, of course, from "Seeds For Peace.")

No comments: