Saturday, September 6, 2008

RNC 2008: Anti-War Vets Occupy Steps Of State Capitol


Photo by John Hoff, September 1

As a former soldier, and very "second generation" at that, I couldn't help but notice how "soldier like" their little actions were as some vets waiting for the anti-war march hung out on the steps of the Minnesota State Capitol with their supplies. Note how...

...the stuff on the second step seems to be in two rows, and how the things which are "not yet unpacked" occupy the first step. The guy in the middle was reaching down to make the more stuff orderly, not to get something to eat or drink. I could sense the feeling of simple soldierly contentment...I have my supplies, I know where they are, and I can get through this next watch just fine, easy duty as long as nobody SHOOTS AT US.

If that happens...well, we'll handle THAT if it happens.

But in the meantime...let's get SQUARED AWAY, here, left right left.

If folks like these vets had been leading Thursday's "March Into A Meat Grinder," it could have been something entirely different. They might have gotten to the very doors of XCel Energy Center.

No comments: