Monday, September 1, 2008

Opposing RNC 2008: Democracy Huddles Beneath A Bridge, Trying To Stay Alive

Photo by John Hoff (September 1)

At first, I thought these blanket-wrapped shapes were some kind of modern art piece...

Then I figured, well, maybe some kind of sign or monument is underneath those blankets, and they were wrapped up right before the protest to obscure and protect whatever it is...but what?

I found out this was actually an ice sculpture--the word "DEMOCRACY" carved out of ice--and it would soon be unveiled; then allowed to slowly melt away during the rally and protests.

However, I thought the image of the letters wrapped in blankets was ALSO kind of expressive and artsy. I said so to a lady who appeared to be involved with the installation.

"It's like democracy is huddling beneath a bridge, just trying to keep itself alive until tomorrow."

"Hey..." she said. "I like that."

"You can have that," I said.

No comments: