Sunday, September 7, 2008

RNC 2008: It's Art, Man, And If You Don't Get It You're Just...Wait, What DOES It Mean?

Photo by John Hoff, September 1

Most of the "large elements" of the rally were arrayed on the Capitol steps before the September 1 anti-war march. This photo captures I Miss Clean Air, but the rally also had (I Miss) Democracy, Justice, America. (OK, but convince me we had "clean air" prior to the two Bush administrations)

The black dragon-looking thing pictured above could also blow bubbles. Uh huh. The point of a lot of the figures was obvious or something I could figure out, but I never grasped the symbolism of the black dragon with the pink cone hat.

Like, OK, you've got a black dragon costume...and it blows bubbles...and that symbolizes WHAT, exactly? Or do you just bring the costume because it seems cool, and it is left over from Chinese New Year, and the person in possession of the costume is DETERMINED to bring it and some folks he knows really want to "dragon dance?"

If the black dragon means the anarchist energy present at the rally is tamed, and will be put to good use, I could get behind that...but that's just me pushing too hard to read something into a costume which, really, didn't make sense or fit, despite the pink hat.

SOMETIMES ART DOESN'T WORK BUT WE STILL CALL IT "ART."

(Do not click "Read More")

No comments: