Friday, May 9, 2008

Nobody Around To Harvest The Rhubarb


Photo by John Hoff

I wrote about this house earlier, how it had a metal auction sign in the front, but the folks connected with the auction said it wasn't their house. I figured the sign was put there for some deceptive reason. So on this particular day, I removed the sign and put it in the back yard.

Along the way, I noticed some thriving rhubarb. A month from now, I might have to be a good neighbor and help tend this yard by, oh gee, dealing with excess rhubarb growth.

Easy way to tell rhubarb from weed that looks quite similar: rhubarb has glossy leaves. Which are, by the way, poison to eat.

(Do not click "Read More")

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Johnny - you are going to need a recipe for that rhubarb - this is pretty good!

Rhubarb Bars:
2 C Flour
1 C Oatmeal
1 C Brown Sugar
3/4 C butter or crisco
1/2 tsp. salt
4 C rhubarb, chopped
2 1/2 C sugar
4 Tbps. flour
Combine rhubarb, sugar, and 4 Tbps flour; set aside. Combine 1st - 5 ingredients until crumbly; press into a 9 X 13" greased pan (reserving 1 cup for the top).
Pour the prepared rhubarb mixture over the crust. Sprinkle with the reserved crumbs. Sprinkle with cinnamon if desired( I usually don't, I like to taste just rhubarb in this recipe). Bake at 350 degrees for at least 45 minutes (it should be bubbly throughout ). If the rhubarb has a lot of moisture it can take up to 15 minutes more in the oven. Great warm with ice cream or cold by themselves.

Johnny Northside said...

I think what I actually NEED is an old-fashioned girl who knows how to make rhubarb bars.

Anonymous said...

Sorry Johnny - this one is taken - but my hope for you is some nice North Side gal who really has her act together will take a hint and show up at your door with a whole plate of rhubarb bars for you! Be safe.

Johnny Northside said...

She should contact me through this blog rather than show up at my door. I spend more time driving around in circles, calling 911, than I do at my actual property. (Which I'm working to sell to the folks trying to make the block a better place, and then buy a better property on the same block)