Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Taking Care of Business From Many Miles Away

Flickr.com photo

I had to leave town to attend to some family business. I'm in some small town library, where I can't even make the computer post pictures. So I'll have to go back later and post a picture for this entry.

First thing Monday morning, from a rest stop near Alexandria, Minnesota, I called 311 to report a pile of garbage on the curb in front of 2901 3rd Street North, including (but certainly not limited to) a soggy monkey suit. No, I'm not even kidding.

Fortunately, I have the out-of-town number for 311, so I can still call from anywhere in the world. (Thanks to a poster who provided me that number. It's now in my speed dial for times like this)

Per the request of the 911 operator over the weekend, I left a message with the 4th Precinct SAFE person about the ongoing problems at 3101 6th Street North. I also submitted a report to Housing Inspections about a house near my block which appears to have no rental license and has been "taken over" by drug dealers. That report I submitted using the online function.

As I finished my phone calls--my phone plugged into the wall socket at the rest stop--the caretaker smiled at me and said, "Taking care of business?"

Oh, yes, I said. Taking care of business.

(Do not click "Read More")

No comments: