Friday, May 16, 2008

My Blog Gets Corporate Sponsorship (Sort Of)

Photo by John Hoff

I was out of town for a few days on family business, and I saw a small town businessman who prefers to remain anonymous, but he did something helpful for my blog......by giving me his old digital camera.

"It's a Christian camera," he told me. "So don't do anything perverted with it."

I managed to establish his definition of "perverted" DID NOT include taking pictures of crack- addicted prostitutes in my neighborhood for the purpose of cleaning up my block. In fact, he encouraged that kind of thing. Both himself and his wife said my neighborhood efforts were a good thing, and neighborhoods need somebody like me.

He also asked me not to get myself shot doing something with the camera, or he would feel bad. I told him, "I'm going to do what I'm going to do, with our without your camera, so if that happens don't let yourself feel bad."

My Kindergarten-through-senior-year classmate, Martha Greengo, once taught me to learn about a new camera by just shooting up a roll of film under different conditions, to understand the new camera's capabilities and limitations. The zoom appears particularly useful for what I'll be dealing with.

This old beer sign in a rural community was one of the first things I photographed with my sweet new equipment. It really works great, though it is (exactly as he warned me) a real battery hog.

Fortunately, he threw in the battery recharger and some never-say-die batteries. I'm already running on never-say-die.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great article.