Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Unsecure On The Southern Perimeter, Or Is It? (Goodbye To Old School Film)

Photo by John Hoff

Here is 415 30th Avenue North, with Chris in front of it. Did I say he wrote for an online magazine? It may be there is a print version of the magazine, too. I'll have to look into that or ask.

In any case, I called the listing agent even while I was doing this blog entry--actually taking the phone number off the picture--and the listing agent tells me the place has now been secured. I'll pass that on to Jeff. When I go by myself and confirm it really has been secured, I'll call 311 because (possibly) somebody dropped a dime on 311.

It wasn't me, though. No, really.

I say boarding fees are unreasonable and what's 2 or 3 days when it takes 311 a month to get things boarded? In any case...reportedly secured, thanks to quickly informing the listing agent. I called in the gang graffiti on the back stairwell (Ref. No. 177706) but it literally took longer to make the report than it would have taken to just paint over it myself without bothering to ask permission.

Citizens don't need this cumbersome "graffiti abatement" procedure that takes weeks, months, never. We need a broad mandate to paint out graffiti ourselves. Or, shall I say, we need to take back our mandate from the city government and get back to painting out graffiti ourselves, since the city government clearly isn't up to the job. It really shouldn't take a month to take care of a little bit of Sharpie marker on a wood banister and some siding.

Graffiti is illegal. Therefore anybody should be able to come along and paint over it, as long as they make some reasonable effort to match the color of the original surface.

In the meantime, I called it in to 311. By and by, I'll get around to writing up the Johnny Northside Graffiti Abatement Manifesto.

With pictures.

(Do not click "Read More")

No comments: