Monday, May 19, 2008

311 Rocks! Now With Longer Hours!

Photo by John Hoff

Somebody told me 311 is open past normal business hours, and so today I called them at about 7 p.m. after spending a lot of time talking to a reporter from a local online magazine. I didn't really have faith anybody at 311 would pick up the phone but, to my delight, somebody did and I was told I could reach 311 until 11 o'clock at night.

Only 11? What about when it's 2 in the morning and I just gotta call in a "suspicious circumstances report" on a crack-addicted prostitute strolling along West Broadway?

OK, I'm kidding. Even I would agree it may not be cost-effective to extend the hours past 11.

Here is what I was calling about, pictured above. This house at 2705 Bryant Avenue North is wide open to trespass. About a week ago I called about an unsecured garage in the back, but driving by today I see the door has been kicked in. The 311 operator made some offhand remark like, "Yeah, that seems to be the pattern today."

That made me happy to hear, because actually I'd only called in about one other unsecured door. So maybe other folks are calling in.

(Do not click "Read More")

1 comment:

jhop said...

The extended hours have been in place for quite a while. I called them about 3 months ago and the automated voice said they are open from 7AM to 11PM weekdays.

The photo of that house...It looks like a pretty nice place. Its too bad that its not occupied.

How did the parade of homes go over that way? I hope some folks are interested in putting some roots down in this part of town. Thank you for your efforts to turn this area around.