Thursday, May 1, 2008

May Day, May Day, May Day

Photo by John Hoff

It is 11:31 PM. I just checked my voice mail here at the Humphrey Institute after finishing a legal brief.

The Polish lady informs me in a fearful tone, in broken English, that somebody tore the board off the door of 415 31st Ave. N., the "white house" which is the subject of lawsuit for predatory lending, which crack heads have broken into repeatedly, including Kathy and her pimp, one Cameron Lake.

I have boarded this one with a police officer watching, as documented on this blog. It is therefore in a different category than the two I am "making an example of" and waiting for some kind of official response.

The house is right across from the Polish lady. She is in fear. She asked me for help instead of the city or the police because the city takes 8 days to respond and the police do not board at all, they merely check. Under the legal doctrine of "necessity" I will go there tonight, I will board it, I will do what must be done to protect the Polish lady. The City of Minneapolis does not have enough quickness, political will, nor monetary resources to protect her. I have enough of all three, but only because boards can be found laying around anywhere on the North Side and are therefore effectively free.

I do not skulk around like a filthy crack head. What I do, I do openly as a good citizen. This is not an act of defiance but utter necessity. USA TODAY interviewed the Polish lady just the other day. If she is hurt, it will be really bad press. I don't want that to happen to my neighborhood or city. So I'm going to do what I'm going to do.

I'm going to secure my block.

(Do not click "Read More")

1 comment:

pattycake said...

John,
I Like the "polish lady" refrence keep em comming. You are now part of her family, and always will be. Thanks for being there for us.