Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Chief Dolan Reappointment Sails Through Public Safety Committee 3-1-2

Photo and blog post by John Hoff

After an outpouring of emotional testimony from both pro- and anti-Dolan camps, the Public Safety Committee voted 3-2-1 to support the reappointment of Dolan, with all the pro-Dolan votes coming from North Minneapolis: Don Samuels, Barb Johnson, and Diane Hofestede. Cam Gordon was opposed, Betsy Hodges and Meg Tuthill abstained. 

The appointment now goes to the full City Council, where it is expected to pass.

More details to follow in the near future.

(Do not click "Read More")



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cam Gordon is a pothead and makes Dick Franson seem normal.

MeganG. said...

One of the best speakers was the man in this picture - to the far right, with the beard. He is from the McKinley neighborhood in NoMi.

He first addressed the issue of the We Want Dolan signs - saying the anti-dolanites are complaining that the signs are distracting, but they disregarded the Public Safety Chair when he asked them to hold their clapping as an effort to not create a hostile, intimidating environoment. After he said that, and the next anti-dolan speaker spoke, they clapped louder, and longer.

I'm glad he pointed that out.

But it was most fun when he said you people complaining about police brutality, how about you address violence with your gang member children. Tell them to pull their pants up and be good citizens.

That was awesome. I clapped.

Anonymous said...

What a disappointment to hear about Cam Gordon.

Anonymous said...

your tag should be Betsy Hodges, not Bessie Hodges.

Johnny Northside said...

Oh, I see what you mean. OK. Fixing it.

Johnny Northside said...

Dick Franson--whoever he was--that was before my time. I'll have to look into it.

I will say that I respect Cam Gordon. He is a brilliant and principled man and if I lived in his ward, I'd vote for him, DESPITE this vote on the Dolan question.

The fact Cam Gordon is in the Green Party does not automatically make him a pot head. I'm in the Green Party and never smoke pot, though I have advocated strongly for the legalization of hemp fiber.