Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Goddess of Glass Puts on Finishing Touches






Post and exterior photos by the Hawthorne Hawkman. Interior photos contributed by Duane Atter.

I've always liked the way Dr. L. Otieno's dentist office looks from the exterior. First off, I've got a thing for sun imagery, so driving or walking past this place puts me immediately in a better mood. But then I found out that NoMi's Goddess of Glass, Connie Beckers, was putting in some stained glass windows to make the place even more appealing.

As it turns out, Connie did this...

...for free. The windows were contracted as part of a West Broadway facade improvement program, and at the time she was working for the organization that administered it.

What I've also appreciated about this particular office space is that the sun design serves a dual purpose. It makes it much harder for someone to break into the office, but also beautifies the streetscape. That way, security can look like this:



Instead of what's right around the corner on Penn Ave:



Here are some more interior photos provided by Duane Atter:




Thanks Connie, thanks Duane, and I know where I'm going the next time I need my teeth checked out.

9 comments:

Ranty said...

Gorgeous!

Unknown said...

That's a nice looking building and the stained windows add a nice touch.

la_vie_en_rose said...

It looks beautiful. I just hope no idiots break it.

M. Clinton said...

I actually have been thinking that I would like to change dentists to a local Northside dentist office. I think now I know where I will go too!

MeganG. said...

Today I'm going to call Delta Dental and Dr Otieno's office to see if my coverage can switch here. I've always considered that but honestly I wasn't sure it was an active, open dental office!

Who will join me in considering to switch dentists? ( I say at least consider b/c obviously there are many factors)

MeganG. said...

Bri - just saw your comment - let's check into it!

Jeff Skrenes said...

Me too!

Connie said...

Thanks for all the compliments ... Dr Otieno is a marvelous man and has invested a lot of his own money beyond the facade grant into improving his building.

Anonymous said...

Its a beautiful building, with beautiful artwork. Everynight that I drive by it (several times a night) I marvel at the artistry. If you notice, it's artwork and it's functionality... even if the glass is broken, it will keep the mopers out... long enough for the coppers to get there.
-just a cop