Friday, March 5, 2010

JN-SPAN: Stump Speeches at SD 58 DFL Convention


Post and video by the Hawthorne Hawkman.


This is the last of footage I have from the Senate District 58 DFL Convention, where Linda Higgins, Bobby Joe Champion, and Joe Mullery were unanimously endorsed. This first video is of a newcomer to the gubernatorial race, Peter Idusogie. I've got somewhat of a morbid fixation on fringe candidates who have no chance of winning. Coincidentally, the only part of "American Idol" that I ever found worth watching was when Simon would insult the horrid singers who thought they were talented.

So when this gentleman came onstage, I thought to myself, "Oh, another Ole Savior. Should be fun." (Ole's blog of his is HILARIOUS, but if he ever starts advocating to bring back the television show "Dollhouse," watch out.) But HOLY COW, did Idusogie impress! When he was done, several people around me were heard actually saying "wow." I've looked a bit at his website and I'm not entirely convinced he's qualified to be governor, but I do think we need Peter Idusogie and others like him in public service.

Next up, some of the heavier hitters...

Fifth Ward council member Don Samuels spoke for RT Rybak. It was announced that his wife Sondra would be speaking instead, so clearly Don did a bit of improvising. Also, right as his speech started, some kind of spark jumped out of one of the cords. Interestingly enough, the reaction from the crowd seemed to be not one of fear, but "Gee whiz, is someone interrupting Don Samuels AGAIN?"



I feel bad for Hennepin County Commissioner Mark Stenglein. It seems like he ALWAYS speaks after Samuels, and that's a tough act to follow.



Finally, we have Paul Thissen. From the outset of the governor's race, I've been torn betwen Thissen and Rybak. This speech didn't make my choice any easier, since I like Rybak quite a bit but am continually impressed by Thissen. Rukavina blew me away too.



No comments: