Sunday, September 7, 2008

RNC 2008: Flag Boy Does His Duty On State Capitol Steps





Photos By John Hoff, September 1

I noticed this young boy standing on a high stone feature of the State Capitol steps, helping to hold this "slogan-ized" flag. The stone feature is higher than it looks--I used part of it, myself, as a vantage point during the wild Thursday rally--and it takes guts for a kid that young to stand on top, looking down.

One thing I noticed about his actions: what he was doing wasn't about HIM. He wasn't standing in such a way as to say "Look at me, I'm protesting." For this young man, it was all about doing a good job holding the flag, so people could see it, though sometimes he also wanted to see what was going on, himself, since he had a great view of the entire rally. (Bottom photo)

The photo at the top, I think, really shows the selfless spirit of this unknown "flag boy." Note how his dark hair seems to blend right in to the dark blue of the field of stars and his body appears to have completed the shape of the flag.

(Do not click "Read More")

No comments: