Thursday, September 11, 2008

RNC 2008: Doing "Yeoman's Duty" For The U.S. Constitution

Photo By John Hoff, September 1

These guys had to march directly behind the gigantic Constitution banner, holding the middle aloft with a pole. They couldn't see all the excitement ahead of them, and couldn't turn around that well...

Yet they marched like that for miles. I don't know if anybody relieved them and took a turn. I hope so, really.

The phrase "yeoman's duty" comes to mind, though it's an increasingly rare and archaic phrase which may die out entirely unless, I don't know, somebody uses it as a movie title or something. But when I picture "yeoman's duty," I think of people like this.

Like my image of "flag boy," who cared more about keeping the flag aloft than being seen from his high perch, this guy cared more about keeping the U.S. Constitution lifted high, rather than being seen out in front of it.

No comments: